Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I don't know why I didn't love this?  It had all the elements of a book that I would love: magic, magical creatures, fantastical worlds, mysterious identities, blazing-hot angels!  But something in it just did not click for me?  It was a very fractured tale.  Because the reader (and I guess Karou, the main protagonist, as well) are a bit in the dark about what is going on in the story, it is at times quite confusing.  I am not saying I did not like this story.  There were elements that I found fascinating: the magicians shop, the use of wishes, the historical background of the epic war between angel and beast.  I found myself very invested in Karou's un-extraordinary life and her plight to find herself.  Unfortunately, the twist in the ending was kind of predictable and left me a bit sad, and actually not very interested.  I will continue to read this series.  It is definitely not one that I am planning to abandon, especially since I have high hopes of learning more about the monster universe.

Final Recommendations: if you like magic, slow-burn mystery unraveling, hot-angels (cause really who doesn't), fantastical creatures, epic wars.


No comments:

Post a Comment