Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows

The Orphan Queen was a slow start.  That being said, by the time I got to the end, I was racing through on the edge of my seat, and now I am dying to know more (and secretly building a time machine to the future to pick up book #2).  I loved the main character Wil in this novel.  She was solid, purposeful and while she did have some moments to whiny teenage angst, they were mostly justified (what with witnessing her parents murders as a child).  I LOOOVED the character Black Knife.  Jodi Meadows has a way with her male leads that draws you in with the first meeting.  The world building was adequate.  The world itself, fascinating and mysterious, however, our interaction with it as the reader was somewhat limited.  There are several novellas planned in the series, unfortunately, I do not think they will be enough to quell my desire to know more about the world and the ancillary characters involved in the story.  Overall, I did grow to really enjoy this novel and am sad that it is only a duology as I think there is so much material smooshed into this one book that could have been developed in a longer series.

Final Recommendations:  if you love high fantasy, mysterious organizations, even more mysterious vigilantes. swoony romance, royal jerks, strange magic


No comments:

Post a Comment