Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith

I love how Andrew Smith writes.  I would read his grocery lists and probably be enthralled.  That said, I do not think his books will appeal to everyone.  I am not one to pigeon-hole kids into a certain genre or specific narrator style.  I find that both myself and my students enjoy a variety of YA, but there are just certain students who this type of book appeals to more.  The Alex Crow is another masterpiece of all the stories coming together as one.  I loved the historical piece woven through the story of a young refugee escaping Syria.  I also am fascinated by Smith's use of "made up" and yet totally plausible science (both in this novel as well as in his previous gang-buster, Grasshopper Jungle).  There is less sex, drugs and cursing than in previous installments, however, more violence.  None of this really bothers me, though.  The novels are written for an audience of young adults who can handle these types of situations contextually through their reading, and Smith weaves together a story like no other.

Final Recommendations:  if you like weird science, boys bonding, refugee tales


No comments:

Post a Comment