Monday, May 26, 2014

Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens

Full disclosure, Speak by  Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my favorite books of all time.  I read it at a time when things like rape were not discussed in Young Adult literature...ever.  I was unique and fresh and raw and sad and it touched something in me that I think is inherent in all young girls, the pain, fear and self-loathing of just being young.  Courtney C. Stevens' Faking Normal reminds me that these types of contemporary stories written by women for the young adult crowd are still relevant and still very much needed.  I am glad that the market is still open and that girls still have the opportunity to read these stories (even though it does make me sad that they are still necessary).  I have read this story before, but that does not mean that my students have and I will be glad to share this with those who still need it.

Recommended for: fans of contemporary YA, you like Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak (and if you have not read this novel, go out and get it NOW), romance, girls who find their voices, if you are searching for your own


No comments:

Post a Comment