Monday, May 19, 2014

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

This one probably averages out to 3.5 stars but I'll bump it to 4 because the 2nd half was too good.  Amy's transition from poor Kansas nobody to girl in Oz is a little awkward but maybe that just sets up the change that comes over her.  I found the author's writing style very readable so getting through the initial trip to Oz and escape from evil Dorothy's prison bearable.  This book really picks up once Amy is enlisted by a group of "wicked" witches known as the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.  It's your average plain girl turns bad-ass build-up (which I happen to really enjoy).  I realized though that by the end, my favorite part of this story is how the author uses Frank L. Baum's fantasy landscape and makes it her own.  The possibilities in Oz are endless and it has been a while since I have a read such an open-ended fantasy tale.  I feel like this book really came into it's own in the end and actually am really excited about future installments.  This book and the world it is built into have a lot potential to be an awesome fantasy series.

Final recommendations: if you love the original Wizard of Oz (I realize it's totally different but I feel it definitely stays true to the spirit of wonder), fantasy, sassy protagonists, good-girl gone bad/gone good/maybe gone bad again, mysterious happenings, magic (lots of magic)

No comments:

Post a Comment