Friday, May 30, 2014

Death Sworn by Leah Cypess

Disclaimer:  This book is a dystopian vaguely veiled in the pretty prom dress that is fantasy.  Now don't get me wrong, I really liked this book.  Clearly outlined in my Goodreads "read" list is a long history of loving both fantasy and dystopian, so this is no surprise.  I was, however, surprised that the description of this book did not meet my expectations (but again, not in a bad way).  This book was nice in that it slowly enveloped you in the story as well as the atmosphere of the fantasy setting.  I look forward to read future installments and hope that the world building expands out of the dark cave (literally, the majority of this novel takes place in a dark cave).  Ileni, our main heroine, is both likable and realistic with just enough sass and toughness.  The male lead is aloof in a way that you are drawn to him (but also disconnected enough that the romantic tension can continue into future books).

Final recommendations: lovers of fantasy, lovers of dystopian, strained romance, sassy girls, "magic"


No comments:

Post a Comment