Friday, April 25, 2014

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

Apparently I'm on a "weird books about boys" streak.  I don't quite know what I thought about this book (I guess I'm still processing).  The story is told in two parts: that of an average small-town boy, Cullen Witter, and that of a lonely missionary Benton Sage (and later Cabot Searcy). The parts do eventually come back together.  Two strange events converge the summer after Cullen's Junior year in high school, the illusive (possibly imaginary) Lazarus woodpecker is spotted in Cullen's hometown and his younger brother Gabriel goes missing.  The story weaves between the emotions of losing a sibling and the strangeness of being 17.

I just don't know if it worked...for me.  I understand what the author was trying to go for, but I never really grew attached to any of the characters.  It was only a little over 200 pages, so maybe the lack of depth was what had me looking for more?

I would recommend this to: mystery seekers, those who like contemporary fiction, stories of friendship, stories about siblings.

May you enjoy it more than I.  Hey it won a Printz for goodness sake, someone obviously liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment