Monday, April 21, 2014

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

I liked this book. It was a quick and engaging read.  Unlike many books where you are dropped into a world you know nothing about to fend for yourself, the environment in this book did not leave me totally confused.  The slow build helped acclimate the reader to the greco-roman-esq world where conquered people serve their newly established masters.  The mystery and intrigue kept me reading late into the night.

I really liked Rutkoski's female lead, Kestrel.  I thought she was likable in a realistic and believable manner.  Her desire to please her father while at the same time trying to be her own person is a very relatable quality for many teenage girls.  I also appreciated how Kestrel did not possess super-human strength, ridiculous assassin skills or some other type of ninja-esq quality.  She excelled instead because of her awesome BRAIN!  I know, crazy right?  I loved it.  Nerd-warriors unite, we have found a new leader!

The only qualm I had with this novel was that due to the secretive nature of both of the main characters, we did not get a really good look into their thoughts, feeling, emotions.  This did benefit the romantic tension but left me wanting more.  I guess that worked since I WANT MORE.  I definitely will read any follow-ups to The Winner's Curse.

The short and sweet:  read it if you like tension both romantic and actual war, historical fiction/period pieces, strong female characters.

Oh and if you are looking for a new book-boyfriend, may I make a case for Arin. .


No comments:

Post a Comment