Thursday, January 1, 2015

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

I was really pumped going into this book (like I might have actually squealed with joy when it came into the library). I had heard fabulous things about it. Likening it to several series that I LOVED (Girl of Fire and Thorns, looking at you here). Needless to say, I was underwhelmed. It's my ow fault partially, I mean I had hyped it up in my head too much, right? There was that and the fact that it was all too big: the landscape, the story arch. And too forced/predictable. I don't know, for some reason, I just couldn't find myself caring about the characters. I like a string female heroin, however the quantity of times Meira had to reassure herself that she was strong enough, grated on me after a while. It may have also been the constant movement, they were refugees after-all. That whole not staying in one place coupled with having to familiarize myself with a brand new (and terribly expansive) landscape often left me confused and frankly, disinterested. I plotted through, however. 

Final Recommendations: if you like vaguely confusing magic, a sprinkling of romance (warning love triangle), a HUGE landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment