Sunday, September 28, 2014

Strange Sweet Song by Adi Rule

After I got over the 3rd person present tense (like seriously, that's a point of view now a days?), I actually did begin to enjoy this book.  And while I never quite connected to the main character, Sing, the fantasy aspects of this book were too magical for me not to want to finish it.  This book is written in alternating chapters from the point of view of a young girl attending a prestigious music school (while also trying to get out of the shadow of her brilliant, but dead, mother) and a mythological sky-cat that can either grant you wishes or rip your throat out (good options).  I LOVED the unique mythology created behind the cat figure.  I loved the descriptive language during these chapters.  I loved the use of color.  I did not, however, feel engaged in the actual chapters about actual people I was supposed to care about.  In general, this was a mixed bag.

Final Recommendations: if you like music, mythological creatures, impossible romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment