Monday, July 28, 2014

Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland

I think the key with this one is to get through the 1/4 mark.  The beginning is a bit laborious especially due to obscure mythological references (this part probably took me longer due to the constant back and forth between the book and Wikipedia, although I actually did not have a problem with this, I found out a lot about obscure mythological beings).  Once the characters traveled into the mortal realm, that's where a lot of the action, suspense and relationshippy stuff goes down (and this is my favorite part of any book right?).  I enjoyed Ireland's main character, although I wasn't wholly convinced of her turn from nobody failure to complete bad-ass (but then I don't think Zephyr was either, and maybe that's why I liked her more).  There were a few parts where stuff was just too convenient, too fast paced or too foreshadowy without much of an "aha" moment.  But for the most part I really did like the creative spin on this mythological based tale.

Final Recommendation: If you like mythology (all of it, it's quite the jumble), super-powers, super-villains, awesome girls, awesomely hot guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment