Sunday, May 11, 2014

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

I realize I am a late arrival to the Jellicoe Road party, but there was an Amazon deal for $1.99 ebook and I am a sucker for a Printz Award winner.  This novel did not disappoint on both counts (worth way more than the price I paid and definitely prize-worthy).  The story blended dream sequences with a flash-back story and the story of a girl trying find herself in the modern day.  Now normally, this would have annoyed and confused me, even writing it out, I found myself confused.   While I do agree that the style does take some getting used to, I found myself trying to constantly piece things together in my head.  It was unique, novel and engaging.  The main protagonist, Taylor, is both likeable and sad at the same time (great combo for many younger readers).  And, if you can get past the initial confusion of where the story is coming from, it is a totally worthy read.  I loved it and will be buying a copy for my classroom!

My favorite quote: "Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything."

Recommended if you love: contemporary fiction, angsty teen drama, real-life stories, a bit of magic (the real kind), great characters, a little mystery


No comments:

Post a Comment