Thursday, September 18, 2014

Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

It took me a while to get into this book.  I am not sure why?  Maybe I've found myself in the midst of the dreaded reading drought?  Or maybe it was the drop-off at the beginning of another school year.  It could have also possibly been the fact that beginning of this book is slightly confusing.  The author purposefully starts the reader blind, and slowly reveals cryptic bits and pieces in order to keep the reader constantly in the dark.  SPOILER...THIS IS NOT A MEDIEVAL TALE OF KINGS AND QUEENS BUT IN FACT A DYSTOPIAN ALT-HISTORY?!  And here is where it loses a few stars.  I really did enjoy the bits of magic, the characters were interesting, Kelsea (our leading lady & queen) was both likable and not too cliche, BUT the setting was infuriating.  I did enjoy the fact that the author slowly revealed that the world was post-apocalyptic England? I still am not 100% sure on that one, but that's definitely a problem.  Why is the reader never really given a clear understanding of where and why the Tear exists?  I think it's a cool way to reveal a setting and all but I still feel a bit confused as to where and why this kingdom exists in the first place?  Also, while the evilness of the enemy (the Red Queen) is often times eluded to, we never spend enough time with her to know the extent of her cruelty or her powers.  She answers to some evil shadow force...but that evil shadow force is rooting for the good queen Kelsea?  Huh?  I guess my final assessment is that I liked the story, I enjoyed seeing the heroin evolve throughout, I just felt like the world-building and conflict could have used a clearer path.

Final Recommendations: if you like queens, knights in shining armor, magic, evil queens, mysterious rogues


No comments:

Post a Comment